Today I focused on the Axle Bearing of the Trailing Wheel. I’m currently wondering which would be the best length for its boom. Right now, I’ve got the choice between two versions: the originally drawn, long version and a new one, which is considerably shorter.
got some progress and some pictures!
I started constructing the smokebox saddle. Since I own neither a lathe nor a milling machine I’m trying to make virtues out of necessities and hone my manual skills. The first step was to make a gauge for the saddle’s curves, so I could construct two symmetrical and identical parts.
here’s what happened the last few days.
First off, I constructed a simple tablet-like working space, so I can work on small parts in the living room without having to clean up everything afterwards. In the future I will saw new parts in the workshop, then take the half-finished parts and the fine tools to the living room, combining the best of both worlds, so to speak.
it’s 8 am, thunderstorms are rolling in after a week of intense heat (thermometer topped at 110 °F) and I can finally spare some minutes to keep you updated.
Last week I ordered a whole set of small drills, so far I had a very limited stock. Now my options are quite unlimited when it comes to making threads and clearance holes. I spent some time in the shop building a neat set of holders.
reshaping the cylinders is taking some time, pictures will follow. In the meantime, I could actually spent some time at the workshop.
I don’t own a lathe, so I took on the trailing wheel with a file and a plan: since this particular wheelset can’t be disassembled, I’m trying to build a vice-like bearing. I aimed for reducing the axis’ diameter from 5 mm down to 3.5 mm with a 1/10th mm tolerance (that’s 1/256th inch).