After a long, long break I’ve found some time to work on my locomotive. In order to finally construct the drivers’ axle bearings, I need to be sure about what the springs’ suspension is going to look like.
Tag: Dewey Bros.
Trailing Wheel Axle Bearing
Today I focused on the Axle Bearing of the Trailing Wheel. I’m currently wondering which would be the best length for its boom. Right now, I’ve got the choice between two versions: the originally drawn, long version and a new one, which is considerably shorter.
A few weeks ago, I re-read my construction diary over at the railroad-line.com forums. Doing that I noticed that I failed to implement all of Thayer’s suggestions into my drawings. Most importantly the stack’s dimensions were too big while the boiler was too small in diametre.
Correcting the Frame
Why do I always notice such things afterwards? There I was, building the smoke saddle with trouble and care, brazing the bracket to the frame, attaching crossbeams… and then the bracket is misplaced and the whole saddle sits lopsided on the frame! -___-
3D-Planning: Axle Bearings
Tonight I finally could make progress on the axle bearings. Until now I scratched my head on how to realize the bearings and especially the connection between the leaf springs and frame in a way that supplies both prototypically accurate and solid results – without purchasing a lathe and mill.
got some progress and some pictures!
I started constructing the smokebox saddle. Since I own neither a lathe nor a milling machine I’m trying to make virtues out of necessities and hone my manual skills. The first step was to make a gauge for the saddle’s curves, so I could construct two symmetrical and identical parts.
Trailing Wheel Revision
here’s what happened the last few days.
First off, I constructed a simple tablet-like working space, so I can work on small parts in the living room without having to clean up everything afterwards. In the future I will saw new parts in the workshop, then take the half-finished parts and the fine tools to the living room, combining the best of both worlds, so to speak.
Trailing Wheel Bearing
it’s 8 am, thunderstorms are rolling in after a week of intense heat (thermometer topped at 110 °F) and I can finally spare some minutes to keep you updated.
Last week I ordered a whole set of small drills, so far I had a very limited stock. Now my options are quite unlimited when it comes to making threads and clearance holes. I spent some time in the shop building a neat set of holders.
reshaping the cylinders is taking some time, pictures will follow. In the meantime, I could actually spent some time at the workshop.
I don’t own a lathe, so I took on the trailing wheel with a file and a plan: since this particular wheelset can’t be disassembled, I’m trying to build a vice-like bearing. I aimed for reducing the axis’ diameter from 5 mm down to 3.5 mm with a 1/10th mm tolerance (that’s 1/256th inch).
today I looked on the last picture I posted and compared it to the prototype’s photography. I have to say I’m positively unhappy with the cylinders’ current dimensions. From my point of view they should be scaled down by at least 10%. This would still meet the required cylinder stroke and give the machine an overall better proportion.
Furthermore, I took a closer look at the trunnion (what little could be seen on the photo) and it seems to me that the trunnion’s diameter matches the cylinder’s diameter. So I will give it another shot and redesign the cylinders.
Pictures will follow as soon as I’ve got anything to show.