Monthly Archives: June 2015

Trailing wheel

Hello all,

Filing down the axle's diameter

Filing down the axle’s diameter

reshaping the cylinders is taking some time, pictures will follow. In the meantime, I could actually spent some time at the workshop.
I don’t own a lathe, so I took on the trailing wheel with a file and a plan: since this particular wheelset can’t be disassembled, I’m trying to build a vice-like bearing. I aimed for reducing the axis’ diameter from 5 mm down to 3.5 mm with a 1/10th mm tolerance (that’s 1/256th inch).

Cylinders Redesign

Hello folks,

today I looked on the last picture I posted and compared it to the prototype’s photography. I have to say I’m positively unhappy with the cylinders’ current dimensions. From my point of view they should be scaled down by at least 10%. This would still meet the required cylinder stroke and give the machine an overall better proportion.
Furthermore, I took a closer look at the trunnion (what little could be seen on the photo) and it seems to me that the trunnion’s diameter matches the cylinder’s diameter. So I will give it another shot and redesign the cylinders.

Pictures will follow as soon as I’ve got anything to show.

Drivers Dummies


Dewey Bros. Status Quo

Dewey Bros. Status Quo

just a very quick update before I’m going to sleep.
I fixed the misalignment on the cylinders, thanks again Frederic from railroad-line forums for mentioning it!
Tonight I just messed around a bit and patched together some very quick’n’dirty drivers. This screenshot serves no purpose whatsoever except providing a bit of eye-candy. Enjoy!

Saddle Lower Half, Cylinders

Hello folks,

Saddle's lower half and cylinders

Saddle’s lower half and cylinders

the last couple of days I focused on the lower saddle half and the cylinders. As you can see in today’s screenshots, I rearranged the parts of the saddle halfs. The lower half of the saddle is going to form a group with the trunnion and the cylinder supports. The upper half acts as a counterpart so that the both halves act like a vice to fasten the main frame bars.

Reconstructing the Saddle

Hello everyone,

Saddle reconstructed

Saddle reconstructed

I’m still around, though things have changed. Quit my job and found me a new one that actually leaves me some spare time. Last week I contacted Regner Dampftechnik Company in order to check up on the wheels. It seems I can expect them to arrive in late June or early July. In the meantime I took on Wallace’s advice and reconstructed the saddle. This first image shows what I’ve got so far.