A few weeks ago, I re-read my construction diary over at the railroad-line.com forums. Doing that I noticed that I failed to implement all of Thayer’s suggestions into my drawings. Most importantly the stack’s dimensions were too big while the boiler was too small in diametre.
Category: Dewey Bros.
just a very quick update before I’m going to sleep.
I fixed the misalignment on the cylinders, thanks again Frederic from railroad-line forums for mentioning it!
Tonight I just messed around a bit and patched together some very quick’n’dirty drivers. This screenshot serves no purpose whatsoever except providing a bit of eye-candy. Enjoy!
Saddle Lower Half, Cylinders
the last couple of days I focused on the lower saddle half and the cylinders. As you can see in today’s screenshots, I rearranged the parts of the saddle halfs. The lower half of the saddle is going to form a group with the trunnion and the cylinder supports. The upper half acts as a counterpart so that the both halves act like a vice to fasten the main frame bars.
Reconstructing the Saddle
I’m still around, though things have changed. Quit my job and found me a new one that actually leaves me some spare time. Last week I contacted Regner Dampftechnik Company in order to check up on the wheels. It seems I can expect them to arrive in late June or early July. In the meantime I took on Wallace’s advice and reconstructed the saddle. This first image shows what I’ve got so far.
Bonjour les gars,
we’ve got progress, slow but steady. Today I attacked the buffer bar. This piece is going to be quite prominent and will add to the loco’s distinctive shape, so I’d like to give it the most realistic look possible. Plus I have to be able to disassemble it whenever I have to work on the frame.
I tried some options but couldn’t think of an ideal solution.
Designing the Saddle
the last weeks I’ve been strechted pretty thin between my girlfriend, our kittens and deadlines at work. However, yesterday evening I managed to squeeze in half an hour of SketchUp modeling, followed by another hour just until now.
I’m working on the connecting frame between the cylinders and the smokebox –
help me out here, how is this part called? thanks to Wallace from the railroad-line.com forums I now know that this part is called the “smokebox saddle”.
just a very quick update. Work is taking over at the moment so railroad has to take a step back. However I managed to start on the 3D model, here’s the status quo:
See you around soon!
At long last, I managed to finish the drawing and found the time to post here:
I’m quite happy with it as it is. I found one error so far, that is I didn’t align the cylinder’s axis with the drivers’ axes… Right now I really don’t have the nerve to fix that so please consider it as noted on my to do list.
Historic Researches on Dewey Bros. Loco
Since I stumbled on a picture of a Dewey Bros. 0-4-2T, I’ve fallen in love with this little engine. My first encounter happened during a Google picture search for industrial steam locomotives.
This particular image came from a book written by Angus Sinclair in 1907: Development of the locomotive engine, where it served as an example for oddities of engineering history. Several universities offer free online access to the book.
For this second sketch, I followed the advice from Bernd, a fellow member at the railroad-line.com forums and drew from the right to the left, starting with the rear wheel. That felt STRANGE. This time I used a straight 1/20.32 scale ruler and a bigger sheet of paper.